With three plane crashes and 462 people dead in one week, you may not be the first to wonder if taking a flight means taking a risk. The WSJ's Ramy Inocencio speaks to Greg Waldron, Flightglobal Asia managing editor, on how safe the skies truly are.

TAIPEI—Taiwan's aviation authorities said Friday a preliminary report on the crash of TransAsia Airways Flight GE-222 is expected to be completed within one week as pressure mounts from victims' families to determine the cause of the disaster, which claimed 48 lives.

Taiwan's Aviation Safety Council, the agency in charge of the probe, said the plane's flight recorders have been found. The exterior of the black boxes as well as the cockpit voice recorder are slightly damaged and damp, but are still largely intact.

Some families of the crash victims are questioning why the Civil Aeronautics Administration and the airline gave the pilot approval to fly on Wednesday night.

According to the Central Weather Bureau, the center of Typhoon Matmo, which had swept across Taiwan earlier on Wednesday had already moved out to sea when Flight GE-222 crashed. The weather bureau lifted all typhoon warnings across Taiwan about 90 minutes before the crash, but the storm was still bringing rain to Penghu, the outlying island where the plane crashed.

CAA Deputy-General Lee Wan-li, said the pilot of the ill-fated flight, Lee Yi-liang, didn't inform the control tower of any sudden weather changes during his last communication at 7:06 p.m. local time Wednesday, shortly before the plane crashed.

CAA officials said that visibility at Magong airport at the time of the crash was about 1,600 meters, wind speed was 20 kilometers per hour and the cloud ceiling—an essential factor when planning a flight that measures the distance between the base of the cloud and the ground—was 330 feet, all meeting requirements for landing. Moreover, two other flights, operated by Far Eastern Air Transport and Uni-Air, landed safely at Magong Airport shortly before the TransAsia crash, the agency said.

"We only heard the pilot saying he had to 'go around,' we didn't have other information from him," Mr. Lee added.

Soldiers remove the wreckage of a TransAsia Airways plane that crashed on Taiwan's offshore island of Penghu. Reuters

Mr. Lee said that pilots use their own discretion on determining if weather conditions are suitable for flying and landing.

"It is the pilot who is flying the aircraft, not those in the control towers," he said.

TransAsia spokeswoman Alison Kao said the carrier doesn't comment on any claims related to the crash and is awaiting the crash report from the Aviation Safety Council.

The crash was Taiwan's deadliest aviation accident in more than a decade. The ATR-72, a twin turboprop aircraft, was carrying 54 passengers and four crew members from the southern Taiwanese city of Kaohsiung when it crashed about a half mile from the runway of Magong Airport on Penghu during a second attempt at landing. The aircraft careened into five nearby homes. The government said 48 people were killed, 10 people onboard and five others on the ground were injured.

The CAA said that as of Friday, coroners have issued 32 death certificates. A group of dentists have also been flown in to help identify the remaining bodies.

Representatives from the French manufacturer of the TransAsia plane, Avion de Transport Regional, and aviation-accident experts from France and Canada have also arrived in Taiwan to assist with the investigation, said ASC.

According to a previous statement from TransAsia, the pilot of Flight GE-222 had 22 years of experience, had logged nearly 30,000 hours of flying time and was "extremely familiar" with the Kaohsiung-Penghu route.

Based in Taipei, TransAsia Airways is Taiwan's third-largest carrier by fleet size after China Airlines Ltd. and Eva Airways Corp. It flies mostly to destinations within Taiwan, but also serves some cities in mainland China and other parts of Asia.

The carrier last year received approval from the CAA to set up a low-cost airline operating flights within five hours of Taiwan. The airline, V Air, is slated to being operations in September.

Write to Jenny W. Hsu at jenny.hsu@wsj.com